Friday 21 December 2007

Keith’s excellent Brighton adventure

Recently I spent a few nights in Brighton and found it to be an excellent city, especially the area called the lanes with its buzzing restaurants and bars. After work each evening I went for a stroll to find somewhere to eat. The First night I had a splendid lamb Dansak, followed by a few beers at my new favourite pub, Fiddlers elbow where they were playing Nick cave plus other off beat music to my delight.
The second night I ended up in Momma Cherri's Soul Food Shack. I had watched the Gordon Ramsey show and thought I would give it a try.

I ordered the meatloaf with greens and mash potato and a bottle of American beer. Enjoyable tasty food although the meatloaf was a bit salty. However, this was overshadowed by the price of the meal a whopping in a £20. I think Momma has been bitten by the corporate bug, I thought soul food was all about good wholesome family food! If I took my whole family it would cost £100 for four slices of meatloaf... Gordon, Have a word...


The next evening I found myself at Momma Cherri's original soul food shack, which has now become the blue man North African restaurant. This place is fantastic. I started with a beer from Casablanca called Flag and some complimentary marinated chick peas that were extremely addictive. I had a starter Merguez Sausages which are homemade spicy lamb sausages with homemade salsa and also very tasty. For my main I had Khrouf, a Rich lamb tagine with cinnamon, prunes and chickpeas on the side was couscous and pita bread. The whole meal and service was excellent and I will be returning on my next visit to Brighton.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah-ha! A fellow Nick Cave fan.